Thursday, December 8, 2011

HORCHATA AND OTHER DRINKS

Horchata is one of my favorite drinks, I grew up loving this drink, it's got the smooth milk flavor, with a hint of vanilla and sugar, and the creaminess from the rice, mmm... it's delicious, over the years I've tried a great variety of them, some people blend some strawberries in, some other more daring add a combination of fruits that is one of my favorites, they add apple, guava, strawberry and banana, and for taste and texture they add small pieces of fruit once the drink is ready, the result is fantastic, pure love juice!



this is one of the best and easiest recipe I've ever tried, so if you are all about delicious and easy here it is:

Ingredients:

2 cups of rice flour.
1 pint of heavy whipping cream
1 can of evaporated milk
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of vanilla
sugar to taste

instructions:

In a big water container mix all the ingredients, and adding water untill taste right, I would say it makes about a gallon and a half. little more little less depending on how sweet you like it.

remember that Horchata is famous because of been such a complicated drink to make that most people don't even dare, I got this recipe from a beloved family I met in my mission, from Garden city, Ks. the Hinojosa Family, when I met them they had just barely closed their "Aguas Frescas" store, which is a local that sells traditional Mexican drinks.



Here are the easiest two ways to get horchata:

Go downtown to the Alberto's store on 500s and 300w on a Tuesday night and get some for free !
Go to any Mexican restaurant, they always have some, if they don't sell it is not Mexican.
To try the frutas variation of this drink hit the Latino Mall on 2470s Redwood road.

Disfruten!

No comments:

Post a Comment